Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Is a 'bed' really a bed?

One thing I found very curious in America is a fact that when someone says 'bed', what he really means is:

a) a bed frame (most likely just a metal carcass) or
b) a headboard or
c) a mattress or
d) a box spring.

When I was looking online for a bed to buy I was surprised to see how expensive they all were, only to be even more shocked when I saw in the description: 'mattress and box spring not included'. My question was - then was IS included? What are you actually supposed to sleep on if you're getting an empty 'bed'.

So buying a bed is like putting a puzzle together. First you get a mattress and a box spring for about $600+ (cuz that is the heart of the bed, lets face it). Then - if budget allows - the metal frame - $150+ (by this point your bed actually feels comfortable, but it still looks incomplete). But if you really want to have a luxurious sleeping arrangement - you spend another $400+ for a headboard. A just now your bed is complete.

This is just a warning for those of you Europeans who are planning to buy a bed in America.

If you were to buy a bed in Ukraine, and you'd see a price tag in the store - "??? hrn for a bed" - you'd know for sure that for this price you're getting the whole package. They will bring your new bed into your bedroom in one piece. End of story (oh, and there is no such thing as a 'bed frame' or a 'box spring').

But there is one thing I absolutely love about American beds. Their standard sizes: twin, full, queen and king. Getting sheets is never a problem. If you know you have a full bed, there's no need to write down measurements when going to look for new bedding. And I do like the whole fitted sheets thing. Genius.

But I do think that just a plain sheet to go under the comforter is... well, not so comfortable. I prefer the European style - duvets. It's more comfortable and more hygienic.

Oh, and what's the deal with the twin bed? How small and short should the twins be to fit in one bed like that?

6 comments:

grey rose (they/them) said...

*shouting* YOU ARE ADORABLE!!

we have a mattress and box spring on a metal frame. i secretly want a headboard. i (not so secretly) don't want to shell out $1500 for the one I like;)

xo (got a sweet card from y'all-Thanks!)

Dasha said...

haha! I hear ya, girl, I hear ya...

Glad you got our card! Hope you had a fun celebration! xo

gonzo39 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
faith said...

Great points. I love your writing. You are so creative. I have always wondered that about twin beds.

Four on the Shore said...

ooo, a Dasha blog! I think you're great, so I'm sure this blog is too. And once you're not quite as busy with that adorable little man of yours, I hope to see some more updates!
Thanks to Hannah for linking it up!
Cheers!

Dasha said...

Thanks Stephanie!! I hope to be posting more, the US never stops surprising me.