Monday, May 3, 2010

Athletic and healthy

I always believed that Americans being an unhealthy (food related) and big (as in fat) nation is a stereotype. Now I'm convinced it really is a stereotype.

Of course, Boston is far from a typical American town. And yes, about 70% of locals are students or young professionals. And yes, Boston has a reputation of being a sporty city because of its famous annual Boston Marathon. And also Red Sox and Celtics, etc. But still - Boston is a rightful representative of the US nation. And it's far from the stereotype image engraved in most Ukrainians' (worlds'?) minds.


I've never seen this many joggers anywhere else in the world. It's amazing! No matter what the weather is, time of the day, holiday or weekday - there are crowds - literally - of joggers all over the city. A friend of mine from California was very surprised when we were showing him around: 'What happened? Where are they all running? What day is it today?' Yep, it's like that everyday. I see people with gym bags everywhere. Bikers, walkers, runners, canoers... you name it.

And people here are very fit. And attractive. And those who say that Ukrainian women are the most beautiful in the world - heh, come to Boston!
Before we moved to US, some people back in Ukraine told me things like: 'Oh, you're probably gonna gain weight, like everybody who goes to live to America' or 'It's those preservatives, antibiotics and growth hormones that they add into all their food that makes it so unhealthy - what are you gonna eat?!' Whether it's partly true - I don't know. But I must admit I was a little worried about my well-being (and by this pretty word I mean 'whether I'd get fat', because I've always been slightly overweight, and I just couldn't afford to gain more of that soft goodness). Another reason for my concern was the fact that I was raised mostly on my grandma's organic produce and, well, Ukrainian food, and didn't know how my body would respond to long-term commitment with American food. Also, I absolutely looooooove American sweets, especially chocolate chip cookies. Oh, actually I have a new favorite now - Whole Food's banana chocolate chip muffin - tastes like Heaven. So you see why I had reasons to be worried.

Well, it's been a little more than a year now, and all of my organs still function. Moreover, I lost some pounds and actually reached my 'ideal weight' as they call it. I work out at the gym regularly and have never felt better. Also, our eating habits got so much healthier! Jamie and I used to cook everything with lots of butter and mayonnaise, had barely any green, orange or yellow veggies on our menu, drank soda a lot more. Now we make sure we have plenty of color on our plates (most of the time we either roast or steam veggies), use mostly olive oil for cooking, try to drink more water and 100% juices, we also added tofu and quinoa (crazy healthy stuff) to our grocery list. Quite the change - at least for me (sigh... the joys of having a Dad who cooks amazingly delicious dishes, but also pretty unhealthy and fattening).
So, Ukrainian know-it-alls, we have a few things about healthy food and lifestyle to learn from Americans.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hm, after all this infirmation I started thinking about mooving to Boston :)
Yep, joke, but still... actualy I always thought that normal americans as any other people in any case won't eat just chips and hot-dogs :) And I always a little jealous americans - cause in Ukraine we only now start geting opportunately to entry normal gyms.
So I'm realy very glad of your, my freand, life in US :)
P.S. Miss you, Dash :)

Anonymous said...

Speaking of healthy americans...I heard of this crazy Zumba class where guys where army pants and girls shake their booties. I hear it's a great work out!!!

grey rose (they/them) said...

just re-discovered your blog...love you!

Dasha the Explorer said...

Bonnie! you're hilllllarious!!!!

and thanks for re-descovering and reading my blog, it's very encouraging and stimulating to know somebody reads it!

Please come again ;)