Tuesday, August 24, 2010

being a stranger at home

Just got back from Ukraine. Three weeks at home were wonderful, but I couldn't help noticing how awkward it felt to be there after a year of life in the US. It's not that it was bad or anything. I just felt... out of place or something. I found myself being confused a lot more. And a lot more 'usual' things brought smile to my face now.

In fact Kiev is better than it has ever been. Everything is more modernized and simplified and clean... and yet. Well, you'll see what I mean in just a second.

Restrooms. Always a good place to start a story. I go into one in a shopping center. It's free - and that's already a big plus. No babushka by the entrance that takes your money and gives you a bill - 40 cm of toilet paper.
But. As I peek inside I see a sign on each stall door 'Toilet paper is by the entrance on your left'. Whoa! Thanks for the warning. I'm glad the sign was on the outside rather than on the inside of each stall. As I had my first chuckle and am on my way to wash my hands I see a sign by the soap: 'The soap is for hand use only' Hmm.... I wonder if people actually take showers in the sinks or do a bit of laundry here. And that was just the first day in Ukraine, and the first public restroom I went into. The other ones had babushkas in them of course. Although I was glad there was one in one of them who warned me and another young woman as we were going in: 'Girls, don't you worry when you see a man inside. It's just a plumber...' Hehe

Also, I forgot that every time you pay cash, the cashier asks you for an exact sum of money, or at least some odd amount so it's easier for her/him to give you change. For example I need to pay 7.32. I'm giving her 10 hrn. The question follows: 'Do you have 2.32 hrn?' Only because it's easier for her to give me 5 hrn instead of 2.68. They will never ever just give you your change.

I went to a cafe to meet a friend. The only place they had menus (and there were at least 20 copies) was right by the cashier. I asked her if I could take one and sit at the table while I decide and wait for my friend. She had such a confused and terrified look on her face: 'Only if you don't take it away with you!' I had to convince her that I'm not interested in framing it for my walls at home. This cafe was actually quite an adventure. First I shocked the cashier with my tactless question, and then I took somebody else's drink (they do the Starbuck's thing now, calling out your name when your order is ready). That's what I mean by feeling out of place. The last time I remember feeling so odd and embarrassed all the time was when I just moved to the US...

We went for the Independence Day celebration concert in Borispil - a small town in Ukraine. It was very sweet and homey. And it brought so much warmth to my heart to see how sincere and genuine Ukrainian people are. The mayor of the city (who I was sitting by without realizing it) was rewarding the simple people of Borispil with awards and special thanks: teachers and doctors, police officers and social workers, diligent students and neat homeowners with pretty green lawns and gardens. Many awards went to cleaners who keep the streets clean. And everybody was so grateful, tears in their eyes. And the mayor sincerely thanked everyone, giving them hugs and kisses. But what touched me the most was a veteran, an 80-year-old woman, who could hardly get up on her feet. But when she did, she recited a poem about the bread being a head to everything, and presented the mayor with a karavay - a Ukrainian traditional bread symbolizing a lot of good things (the list is too long, those interested can google it). The mayor was very touched, he asked his assistant to cut the karavay and serve it to all the guests. Honestly, I felt like we were all a big family. It was so sweet. I love Ukrainians and their big hearts and am so proud to be one of them.

What a trip! I can't wait to go back and experience more of these wonders.

3 comments:

grey rose (they/them) said...

"don't worry girls it's just a plumber"

HAHAHA!

Love you-love your heart-thanks for sharing! Xo

Dasha said...

:)))) yes, it was pretty hilarious

Love you too, sweet Hannah! Thanks for visiting! ;)

Unknown said...

а в америке много гомиков, больных ожирением и извращенцев :)
и что лучше? :)