Monday, November 12, 2007

Home alone

Oh, a blessed week of rest..... I'm staying home this whole coming week. If I wish I can stay in Monday to Sunday! And no one has the right to tell me it's wrong :) But we'll see, I might have a peek outside... we'll see... depending on your behavior.

By the way, about this 'behavior' word (and many others like 'favorite'... emm, many of them, but I can't think of another example). Anyhow, in school we all had to write an essay on a given theme. And when the next week the teacher returned our checked papers we were all disappointed at how many corrections there were (she is a very diligent young teacher, about 3 years older than us :)
On the side of the lines there were explanations of our mistakes. I understand 'WW" (wrong word usage), SP (spelling, of course), GR (grammar), but one of my mistakes had 'Am' on the side. The mistake was in the word 'favour'. Apparently, this mistake is called 'Americanism' :))))
It's difficult to be learning your second language and be constantly confused about British and American English (Okay, I get the pronunciation differences, but the spelling! common!). I love them both, but I have to make up my mind and choose one! What shall I do???

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uh....American! That is, if you don't want all of your American relatives giving you a hard time.

faith said...

I think it is hilarious that you post on Jamie's blog. :D

Dasha the Explorer said...

Ukrainiac, we'll see :) Really, I have to use national British standarts when at classes, it's not optional. But hey, there is only 1 year to go! Then I can speak whatever I want!

Faith, actually the last post was added by Jamie... what a treat, huh? (I did influence him on doing that though ;)

Anna P said...

Dasha, your powers amaze me. I'll glad you are his wife. :)

I would say you are married to an American, so where to your loyalties lie? To him or your brother off yonder? Personally, I would think you should lean more toward your husband. ;) We spell things more correctly anyway... and we aren't biased! You can spell favor, favour, Savior, Saviour... it's all correct, just personal preference. We aren't so anal as the Brit's.

Dasha the Explorer said...

Thanks, Anna :) I'm glad you appreciate it. Actually, I don't think I can control my spoken English. I'm too used to American one. Andrey always laughs at me :) And I, in my turn, always laugh at him